Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"OO," Oh?

The closest I could get to understanding object oriented programming or OOP (more like "OOPS" har har har) is that it's interactive - maybe something like Microsoft Paint. I wonder what non-OOP is then because at this point I can't imagine a non-interactive program except for programs with limited interactions like a media player. Am I way off? I am totally unqualified to speak competently in computer lingo.

Otherwise I thought the Kotkamp article was quite interesting. The question of what comprises a quality education as something that's dynamic and leaves the teacher-student somewhat unresolved and thirsting for more, followed by how online platforms could match that demand was a good setup. I've never really thought about the theory of pedagogy except in terms of, "This teacher good, this teacher bad."

Both articles addressed the problems of hierarchy in Blackboard and webCT. I wonder how far and open these writers imagine their online classrooms to be. I think there needs to be some kind of structure to a classroom based on some authority figure - the teacher. The articles criticized hierarchy as having a sort of power struggle but I saw it as more of a practical means to build an online classroom. Perhaps I'm overlooking the point, in fact, I probably am. My only experience with online classrooms have been with the DMV driving test to get rid of a point for speeding and what's a more hierarchical institution than the DMV?!


No comments:

Post a Comment